If you are stuck on the "connecting screen," then it is because...
- We have noticed that with the recent iOS12 update, if you can no longer get a connection to your network, you may need to reboot your phone once. It will work after that.
- Your switch is no longer transmitting properly because you ignored the firmware update that has been popping up on your your phone since August of 2017. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- OR-->> You need to "refresh" the connections of your phone, switch, and app. Details below.
If you have one of the following situations, you should refresh the connections to your switch, phone, and app.
- Your phone pops-up a message such as "we can't find a device nearby" or "can't find your network"
- Your phone repeatedly fails to complete a firmware update
Two Ways to Refresh Your Connections
- The steps shown below are designed to force your switch/device to refresh its connection, force your app to save its settings, and force your phone to refresh its connection to its bluetooth and wi-fi radios.
- DO NOT FACTORY RESET YOUR DEVICES. Lots of people get impatient, do a factory reset, and then cause themselves bigger problems.
- Repeat: if you have having trouble connecting, please contact email@example.com for assistance with a firmware update.
Refresh #1: Simple refresh of your connections. The simplest way to refresh your connections is to FORCE QUIT your app.
- For iOS devices: press the "home button" twice to take you to the "switcher", then "swipe up" on the Avi-on app to kill it. Example here.
- For Android devices: this process varies depending on the phone. Here is one example.
Refresh #2: Thorough refresh of your connections. If the simple refresh doesn't work, here is a more thorough process.
- POWER CYCLE your Avi-on compatible switch or device.
- For in-walls or wired devices: flip the breaker OFF for 2 minutes
- For plug-ins: unplug the device for 2 minutes
- LOGOUT of the Avi-on app on ALL phones or tablets
- FORCE QUIT the Avi-on app on ALL phones or tablets
- REBOOT only ONE phone or tablet
- TURN BLUETOOTH AND WI-FI ON, then OFF, then ON using the SETTINGS screen on your phone. Why the SETTINGS screen? Because iOS does not turn off the radio 100% if you use the "swipe up" screen.
- Make sure that you have BOTH great wi-fi and bluetooth connection to your phone
- LAUNCH the Avi-on app on ONLY ONE phone or tablet--no cheating!
Additional Important Tips
One switch means one phone.
If you only have one bluetooth switch or device, then you can only use one phone/tablet at a time to control it.
- You can have the app on multiple phones at once, but if you engage in "app wars," you may be unable to connect to your switch from either phone. Information on many-to-many controls are here.
- Solution? Logout of the Avi-on app on all but ONE phone or tablet.
Need help? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.