Challenges with connectivity tend to be the result two things: the quality of the Bluetooth radio in your phone or your installation method.
The Quality of Your Phone or Tablet Impacts Your Avi-on Experience
Avi-on products are built on a new technology called Bluetooth Smart + Mesh. To benefit from this technology, your phone or tablet needs two things.
- Your phone or tablet must have a Bluetooth 4.0 (aka BLE 4.0) radio. If it does not, you will not be able to download the app from the app store.
- Your phone or tablet must have a current operating system. As time passes, Apple and Android drop support of their operating systems. When that happens, Avi-on is forced to follow suit. As a result, we only support the operating systems that Apple and Android are currently supporting.
Android phones are all manufactured by different companies. As a result, the quality of the phones varies dramatically.
- The quality of the bluetooth radio in the phone matters. Some Android phones have half the range of an iPhone. This means that some Android phones cannot successfully operate Avi-on products. Here is some more information on Android, Bluetooth and known issues.
- The uneven quality of Android phones is frustrating to both the customer and to Avi-on because it dramatically impacts the customer's experience. Poor quality Android phones provide a very very poor product experience.
Phones and Tablets With Known Problems with BLE 4.0
Here is a list of smartphones and tablets that may have connection difficulties because they either have poor quality Bluetooth radios and/or they do not have a BLE 4.0 radio at all.
THIS LIST IS NOT ALL-INCLUSIVE. As phones get older, and new phones are released, then the performance of different phones vary.
- Early iPads (early generations don't have a BLE 4.0 radios)
- Nexus 4
- Nexus 7 (some models do not have BLE 4.0 radios)
- HTC (all models)
- HTC One Max
- HTC One X
- HTC Sense
- Moto G (some models have poor quality Bluetooth radios)
- Moto Droid Ultra
- Moto Droid Maxx
- Moto Droid Mini
- Moto Droid RAZR Maxx
- Moto (most models)
- LG G Flex
- Samsung Galaxy (some early models do not have BLE 4.0 radios)
- Samsung Note (some models have short ranges that deliver a poor experience)